The tree has been taken down, the neighborhood and village streets are dark again and credit card bills are an ugly reminder of the holiday season long gone. Worse than debt is an expanded waistline protruding over your jeans looking back at you in the mirror. How did this happen? How did the scale go up 10 pounds or more in just a month? More importantly, how can you get rid of it in the same amount of time?
It’s truly unfair; weight is not as easily lost as it is gained, but there are simple changes we can all make in our daily lives that can yield substantial results in just a four-week time period. Nobody likes to read anymore so rather than bore you with rhetoric, I have composed a top 20 list of changes to make in your diet, exercise and daily practices that will produce improved physiques and/or waistlines in a four-week period. I suggest embracing five of these changes consistently over the next month for optimal results. Good luck!
1. Reduce alcohol to two drinks weekly
2. Remove sugar or sugar substitutes in coffee or tea
3. Stay away from cereal or oatmeal for breakfast and replace with whole eggs
4. Be sure to get 7-8 hours of sleep daily
5. Increase healthy fats like olive oil, butter, avocados, nuts, bacon, eggs into your daily diet
6. Stop snacking in between meals and simply eat three meals per day
7. Start tracking your carbohydrate intake and keep under 100 grams per day
8. Replace protein bars with
9. Incorporate high intensity
interval training (just 30 minutes) into your workout routine once per week
10. Eliminate all grains from diet (ie: bread, pasta, crackers, cereal, baked goods etc.)
11. Increase your cardiovascular activities (biking, rowing, jump roping, stair master or elliptical) to three times per week for just 30 minutes
12. Focus your workouts on complex movements like heavy dead lifts, heavy front squats, push ups, chin ups and pull ups
13. Drink only water and about half your body weight in fluid ounces
14. Restrict fruit to twice per week and just on the days you work out
15. Remove all sugar products from your diet
16. Eat more green vegetables with low carbohydrates and less of carrots, squash and sweet
17. Eat in most nights rather than eating out
18. Fast once a week for 24 hours
19. Reduce stress
20. Start tracking your food on
a daily basis.